A professional HVAC system cleaning may not be in your budget, but that’s okay. While you may not be able to solve every issue with preventative maintenance, there are some things you can do to keep your HVAC system healthy. Here are some DIY tips for keeping your HVAC system in good condition through the Fall season.
1. Check and replace your air filters. This is one of the most important things you can do when it comes to keeping the air in your home clean. Dirty air filters make your HVAC system less efficient and cause unnecessary strain on its parts. Set a monthly reminder to check your air filter and to replace it if needed. The general rule is to change it every 30 to 90 days.
2. Keep your HVAC system free of debris. Check your unit every week or so for debris like leaves, pollen, dirt and sticks. Clear out any debris that may be on it to allow the maximum airflow to the fan. This will increase your unit’s efficiency and lifespan.
3. Clean your registers. You should keep your registers and ducts clean of dust and debris as well. Wipe down your registers often to keep them clean and free of debris.
4. Listen for unusual sounds. Strange noises coming from your HVAC system usually means there is a register blockage, debris in the vents or loose bolts. If you notice a strange sound, try to locate the source. If you can’t figure out what the problem is, it may mean you need to contact a professional.
5. Give your system a break. Occasionally, giving your HVAC system a break is a good way to lengthen the life of the equipment and save you money on your energy bills. The fall is a great time to do this because the weather is starting to become cooler and milder.
6. Know when to call a professional. If you experience problems with your HVAC system that are out of your control or wheelhouse, call a professional. Fall is a good time for a check-up. HVAC professionals with check your system thoroughly, adjust anything that needs fixing and address any other issues you may have.
Having regular maintenance on your HVAC system has numerous benefits for you. Bi-annual maintenance calls are one of the easiest ways to stop small problems from becoming big ones. You’ll save money in the end due to efficiency in performance and energy consumption.
For more questions, to schedule routine HVAC maintenance or for any of our other services, call us at 804-776-5770 and see why W.G. Speeks has been the reliable Richmond, VA heating and air conditioning experts since 1943.