Your air conditioner’s air filter doesn’t just keep the air that comes out clean, but it also plays an essential role in the operation of your system. Changing or cleaning your air filter is a very important part of keeping your air conditioner in good condition. Here are some potential problems that can occur if you ignore replacing or cleaning your air filter regularly.
- Short-cycling: Your AC unit is supposed to cycle on and off occasionally throughout the day, but a dirty air filter can cause those cycles to become more frequent than they need to be, which means wasted energy and uncomfortable temperature changes.
- Freezing up: A clean air filter allows air to flow freely out of your unit. A dirty air filter restricts the flow of cold air, causing build up and lower internal temperature. That buildup of cold air can eventually cause ice to form on the coils.
- Allergen buildup: If you or someone in your home suffers from asthma or allergies, it’s especially important to keep the air filters clean. A dirty filter will cause allergens to build up in your duct system and they’ll linger there for months. You could even end up with a mold problem in the ducts.
- Reduced system efficiency: If you’re holding off on replacing your filter because of the cost, you’re only hurting yourself in the long run. An AC unit with a dirty filter will use more power to cool your home, and you’ll pay more on your utility bills.
- General wear and tear: Air conditioners last longer if they’re properly maintained. A good air filter helps to stop dust and dirt from building up on the unit’s internal components and a bad one will cause additional wear and tear that can lead to serious maintenance issues down the road. You may have to replace your AC a year or two sooner.
Keep your AC Maintained
Good news is the solution to all of these issues is simple. Depending on the type of filter you use, you’ll just need to replace it or clean it monthly. HVAC maintenance is a huge part of our business here at W.G. Speeks. For more information ways to maintain your air conditioner, call us at 804-776-5770 and see why W.G. Speeks has been the reliable Richmond, VA heating and air conditioning experts since 1943.