Spring is the perfect time to get your HVAC system ready for the warm summer season ahead. When hot temperatures have officially arrived to stick around, you’ll want your HVAC system to deliver dependable cooling in the most energy efficient way.
Here are some things you as a homeowner can do to prepare, as well as some things you’ll want to have the experts at WG Speeks look into to make sure you’re all set for summer heat.
Homeowner To-Do List:
– Change the air filter for the blower compartment.
A dirty air filter is the main culprit of high cooling costs and part failure. Clogged filters slow down the air entering the blower and flowing over the evaporator coil, slowing down the cooling process and the amount of air going into the ductwork.
– Clean the outdoor condenser.
Remove any debris around the condenser and gently hose off the condenser coil and fins.
– Inspect registers for dust accumulation.
Vacuum your registers using a soft brush attachment, or for heavier deposits, unscrew the registers and soak them in a sink.
Professional HVAC Maintenance:
You should have a professional go through your entire HVAC system every season to thoroughly clean and adjust it. The cost of the cleanings will be well worth it due to better HVAC efficiency and performance. You can expect your technician to:
– Inspect electrical components and clean, tighten and lubricate if necessary.
– Deep clean the indoor evaporator coil and outdoor condenser coil if necessary.
– Check refrigerant level and adjust if needed.
– Oil the motors and inspect and tighten the belts.
– Test the thermostat and recalibrate if needed.
Maintaining your HVAC system yourself and using professional help assures your system will run dependably and efficiently. For more questions, or to schedule routine HVAC maintenance or any of our other services, call us at 804-776-5770 and see why W.G. Speeks has been the reliable Richmond, VA heating and air conditioning experts since 1943.